skip to Main Content

Water Rights Permitting

Diversion appropriation and beneficial use of surface and groundwater in Montana requires a valid water right. New appropriations or changes in existing water rights require an application to be filed with the DNRC. Changes to existing rights may include alterations in place of use or point of diversion. Conversion of an existing water right from one use to another (e.g., irrigation to fish pond) require a change application. Water rights should be filed on small (<35 gpm), individual wells once the water is put to use.

Be sure to consult with DNRC before using new water or changing existing water rights/uses!

Contact: Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation

Water Resources Division, Water Rights Bureau

P.O. Box 201601

Helena, Montana 59620-1601

Phone: (406) 444-6610

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top