skip to Main Content

Tribal Aquatics Permit

Conducting work in streams, rivers, lakes or wetlands within a Reservation generally requires a permit issued by the environmental office of the Tribe.  Examples of these include the Shoreline Protection Act 64A application (Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Nation), and the Aquatic Lands Protection Ordinance 90-A (Blackfeet Nation). Each Tribe has its own process and requirements, and should be consulted directly for specifics. In general, Tribal permitting requirements mirror state and federal permits.

Contacts can be found by clicking the following link:  Bureau of Indian Affairs

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top