skip to Main Content

Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)

This permit is required for any landowner or operator conducting forest practices that will access, harvest, or regenerate trees on a defined land area for commercial purposes on private, state, or federal lands. 

Contact: Forestry Division

Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation

2705 Spurgin Road Missoula, Montana  59801

Phone: (406) 542-4300

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top