skip to Main Content

Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)

This permit is required for any person, agency, or entity, either public or private, initiating a short-term activity that may cause unavoidable short-term violation of state water quality standards. The major application of this law is related to sediments and turbidity caused by construction or other activities.

Helpful Hint:  Oftentimes, the 318 permit is included within the 310 permit process.


Contact: Water Protection Bureau

Permitting and Compliance Division

Department of Environmental Quality

1520 E. Sixth Avenue, P.O. Box 200901

Helena, Montana 59620-0901

Phone: (406) 444-3080

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top