skip to Main Content

Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)

This permit is required by any private, non-governmental person or entity that proposes work in or near a stream on public or private land. The permit is necessary for any activity that physically alters or modifies the bed or banks of perennially flowing streams. The 310 permit is intended to protect the natural function of streams and rivers.  To determine if you need a 310 permit for your proposed activity, contact your local conservation district. More on 310 permits

Contact: Your Local Conservation District 

Or: Conservation Districts Bureau

Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation

1625 11th Ave, P.O. Box 201601

Helena, Montana 59620-1601

Phone: (406) 444-6667

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top