skip to Main Content

Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit

This permit is required for any person, agency, or entity proposing construction, industrial, or mining activity that will discharge stormwater to Montana waters and construction that will disturb more than one acre within 100 feet of streams, rivers, or lakes. Construction dewatering is also covered by MPDES permitting. For a full overview of the permit, download our printable version of all potential permits required, or contact the entity below.

Contact: Water Protection Bureau

Permitting and Compliance Division

Department of Environmental Quality

1520 E. Sixth Avenue, P.O. Box 200901

Helena, Montana 59620-0901

Phone: (406) 444-3080

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top