skip to Main Content

Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)

This permit is required for anyone planning new construction within a designated 100-year floodplain.  Check with your local planning office to determine whether a 100-year floodplain has been designated for the stream of interest. Projects that have the potential to alter the mapped 100-year flood elevation may require extensive hydraulic analysis and permit review.

Contact: Your Local Floodplain Administrator 

Or: Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation

Water Resources Division

P.O. Box 201601

Helena, Montana 59620-1601

Phone: (406) 444-6654, or (406) 444-6610

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top