skip to Main Content

Fish Stocking Permit

Fish stocking of a private pond may legally be undertaken only after a Non-Commercial Private Fish Pond License has been issued by Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (MFWP). If a pond meets certain requirements, the owner of the pond may qualify for a fish stocking license. This allows the pond owner to “stock the fish pond with” approved fish species “procured from any lawful source” and to “take fish from the lake or pond in any manner.” State fishing regulations and licenses are not required to take fish from a private pond. 

Contact: Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

1420 East Sixth Avenue, PO Box 200701

Helena, Montana 59620-0701

Phone: (406) 444-2535

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top