skip to Main Content

Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)

This permit is required by any person, agency, or entity, either public or private, proposing a project that will result in the discharge or placement of dredged or fill material into waters of the United States.  Waters of the United States includes lakes, rivers, streams (including intermittent), wetlands, and other aquatic sites. Stream and wetland work may require mitigation of impacts, including the Montana Stream Mitigation Procedure (MSMP).

Contact: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)

Montana Regulatory Office

10 West 15th Street, Suite 2200

Helena, Montana 59626

Phone: (406) 441-1375

Potential Permits Required
1. Tribal Aquatics Permit
2. Section 10 Rivers and Harbors Act
3. Streamside Management Zone Law (SMZ)
4. Montana Land-use License or Easement on Navigable Water
5. Montana Point Discharge Elimination System (MPDES) Stormwater Permit
6. Water Rights Permitting
7. Fish Stocking Permit
8. Montana Floodplain and Floodway Management Act (Floodplain Development Permit)
9. Federal Clean Water Act (404 Act)
10. Short-term Turbidity (318 Permit)
11. Montana Streambed and Land Preservation Act (310 Permit)
12. Potential Permits Required
Back To Top